Monday, March 06, 2006

Transforming the World

"The Gospel of Christ knows no religion but social, no holiness but social holiness...You cannot be holy except as you are engaged in making the world a better place. You do not become holy by keeping yourself pure and clean from the world but by plunging into ministry on behalf of the world's hurting ones." - John Wesley

I think that all Christians, especially in America, need to hear these words of Wesley. More than that, I'd urge every United Methodist to review the words of Bishop Thomas Bickerton concerning the "War on Poverty". The bishop's words not only remind us that we are to be advocates on behalf of the poor, the downtrodden, the outcast, and the "least of these", but also reflect my personal philosophy regarding the United Methodist practice of appointment of pastoral leadership.

2 comments:

Brett Probert said...

To which I say amen. I was sharing this Sunday as I am preaching through James. The Lord uses this man to sock it to the rich of the world...myself being one...

Prettybird said...

Where did you get the Make Poverty History button? I love you...your blog seems so much more "important" than mine.