The Blog of Keith H. Mcilwain. Disciple of Jesus / Husband of Robyn / Father of 4 / United Methodist Pastor / Beatles fan / Steelers fan
Tuesday, May 08, 2012
Themes of General Conference 2012
* The rise in influence & power of the Central Conferences makes the UMC a truly global church... finally.
* The great mistrust in the UMC involving bishops, clergy, laity, agencies & the various political/theological factions dominates conversations.
* The debates & decisions on sexuality were not hateful but examples of tough love; we ought to be able to disagree in love without impugning those who disagree with us.
* The UMC's inability to agree on definitions of words like holiness, inclusion, justice & love prevents real, meaningful unity.
* The Holy Spirit was present but often moves in ways which we find confusing or disappointing; we should learn from the ways in which the Spirit moved unexpectedly rather than discounting any divine presence.