Friday, February 20, 2009

Brian Wren

Brian Wren, writer of fourteen items in The United Methodist Hymnal (1989), has suffered a stroke and is hospitalized in a Boston hospital. Among his contributions which I use often are #111 "How Can We Name a Love", #260 "Christ, upon the Mountain Peak", #307 "Christ Is Risen", #318 "Christ Is Alive", and #383 "This is a Day of New Beginnings".

Wren's wife Susan is a United Methodist pastor serving the Martha’s Vineyard Cooperative Parish in Massachusetts. The latest news is that he had surgery yesterday.

The General Board of Discipleship has initiated a blog for folks to track Wren's progress; you can check that out here.

Heavenly Father, giver of life and health: Comfort and relieve your ailing servant Brian Wren, and give your power of healing to those who minister to his needs, that he may be strengthened in his weakness and have confidence in your loving care; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen. (BCP, adapt.)

1 comment:

Paul Fowler said...

I was shocked to read the news of Brian Wren's stroke. I am sorry that I did not hear of it earlier. How is he now? He was my pastor when I was a teenager in England, my name is Paul Fowler, though he may not remember me. FWIW, I am now a Reader in the Russian Orthodox Church in Great Britain. Brian was one of several people who were of great Christian example and inspiration to me. My email address is pf2253@aol.com